I often get this question when clients ask me to organize their master closet. So here are my basic, easy to follow rules when organizing a closet. They may sound very detailed, but hey, that is why you hired me, right?
- From left to right, I begin grouping clothes by type and color
- I start with sleeveless tops, then on to short sleeves, 3/4 sleeves and finally long sleeves
- Next in line are jackets, which consist of suit jackets, light outerwear and zip-ups
- Jeans and pants are next. I separate casual ‘weekend’ wear from ‘dressy/business casual’ wear
- Skirts and dresses are last. I start with skirts – short to long – and finally, dresses. Dresses are further sorted by sleeve length
- I’m also a huge believer in shoe racks for all your shoes. Put those beauties on display, so you can easily find them
Once your closet is organized, it’s easy to maintain!